Joint International conference: Encounters and engagements: creating new agendas for medical anthropology.
On june 12th-14th more than 700 professionals of medical anthropology from around the world met at the conference "Encounters and engagements: creating new agendas for medical anthropology". Works organized in 10 streams related to medical anthropology were presented both as papers and posters. The Opening Lecture was led by Susan Reynolds Whyte. The other two Keynote Lecutures were dictated by Esther J. Langdon and Mari Rose Moro.
The conference was organized by the American Anthropological Association's Society for Medical Anthropology (SMA), the European Association of Social Anthropologists' (EASA) Medical Anthropology Network, URV Foundation and the Department of Anthropology, Philosophy and Social Work, Universitat Rovira i Virgili (URV), Tarragona, Spain.
Further information here
Conference: Emerging Ruralities and (Agri) Urban Cultures.
Organized by the Department of Anthropology, Philosophy and Social Work, the Master in Urban Anthropology, Migrations and Social Intervention. It was held on November 14th and presented five papers on the theme of rurality:
- Rosario Sampedro, University of Valladolid. "Emerging rurality, rurality divergent: women and immigrant population in the revitalization of rural Spaces."
- Yolanda Bodoque, URV. "Villages without women: single, rural "masculinization" and female migration".
- Gemma Casal; Montserrat Soronellas, URV. "Agricultural production and organic farming in Catalonia: from agroecology to ecoescepticism".
- Mar Grau, UAB. "Urban agriculture: reflections from the Terrassa case".
- Carmen Lozano, UNED. "Initiatives for the reconnection and new territorial planning of food system processes and actors: civic food networks in Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil) and Andalusia (Spain)".
- Gerard Batalla, of "Somos que Sembramos", and Gonzalo Barrios, of the "Entrepueblos" Association. "The social movements and the renewal of agrarian and alimentary consciousness".
- Beatriz Santamarina, UV. "Natural heritage and landscapes (provisional)".
- Agustín Andreu, URV. "The uses of heritage in the appraisal of the products of the earth".
Cinema and debate:
On November 7th at the Campus Cataluña of the URV was projected and debated on the film: "The Interrupters". It addresses the prevention of violence through conflict resolution: the Chicago model (VOSE). it was in charge of Eddie Bocanegra, mediator and social worker of Community Renewal Society, in Chicago and counted on the collaboration of Canal +. This activity was organized by the Social Work Department of the Department of Anthropology, Philosophy and Social Work.
Seminar: Migration, Gender and Interethnic Relations
It was in charge of Cristina Oehmichen Bazán, doctor in Anthropology of the UNAM (Mexico). The event was held on November 27th and was organized by the Master in Urban Anthropology and Social Intervention, with the collaboration of the Department of Anthropology, Philosophy and Social Work.
Seminar: Spaces, Migration and Memory
In charge of the anthropologist Maite Marín, professor of the Autonomous University of Barcelona. It was held on December 4th at the Catalunya Campus. It was organized by the Master in Urban Anthropology, Migrations and Social Intervention, with the collaboration of the Department of Anthropology, Philosophy and Social Work.
Lecture: "Health, Globalization and Interculturality"
By Susana Ramírez Hita, PhD in Social and Cultural Anthropology by the URV. She presented part of her field work in South America (University of Tarapacá, Chile). This activity was organized by the Department of Anthropology, Philosophy and Social Work. It was held on January 24th at the Catalunya Campus and was presented by Dr. Oriol Romaní Alfonso (Rovira i Virgili University).